19 June 2007

OOF: Ask For Help With Your Sunscreen

This weekend I was introduced to the aquatic wonder that is Oceans of Fun. Both days. Regardless of age, hangover, and little to no acclimation to the sun's harmful rays I was present at this fabulous oasis on both Saturday and Sunday. I loved every slippery second of it.

Coincidentally, it was Dontworryboutit's birthday this weekend. Had he not played the "It's my birthday, so we're doing whatever I want" card on Saturday morning, I probably would have been my usual stick-in-the-mud self and stayed in bed until I felt lively enough to play some video games. Instead, I got my season pass online and discovered what's sure to be my default daytime plan for the rest of the summer's weekends. Unfamiliar to the OOF wonderness? Don't worry, because I'm a pro now:
  1. Get the season pass. It's $80 and the daily rate is $30. Go 3 times and you've justified your investment (and that's just what it is).
  2. Bring your own booze. Nobody checks your bags, and you can get glasses of ice at many convenient locations throughout the park. Nothing makes me feel like a man like smuggling 'shine.
  3. Get there before 1 PM. I know, it's a large price to pay to drag your dreary bones out of bed, but it's worth it when you get that money spot at the adult pool for you and your friends. Which brings me to:
  4. The adult pool! No rug rats running around screaming, basketball in the pool, and a sand volleyball court. Also, beers and boat drinks if you're not cagey enough to bring your own. Oh, and a bar called 'Belly Up' where you actually sit in the water of the pool itself when you're at the bar. For some reason, those people never seem to have to use the bathroom...
  5. Lot's of water slides. I don't believe any elaboration is required here. Water slides are inherently awesome.

Needless to say, I had a great time both days and plan on making OOF my country club until I get pretentious enough to demand something better. I expect you all to come visit me sometime this summer so you can experience the greatness for yourselves.

1 comment:

jonzer said...

My aunt and uncle live near KC, in Kearney actually. Dunno if you know where this is, but it is really pronounced carnie, like the carnival employee. Anywho, growing up, I was exposed to the wonders of OOF and WOF (aka: worlds of fun for all of the people who don’t know). This is funny that you have been there. As a child, I loved riding the rides and running around like a crazy person. Usually with some kind of rope attachment that was securely affixed to a parental unit so I wouldn’t escape too far… no no, just kidding I think I was like 8 to 12 when I went… Still, I was unaware of the great opportunities that are offered for an adult at such a fantastically fun park! This is nice that they cater to both the drinking age individuals as well as the chitlens, unlike some parks with large mice, fairies and tea pots swirling out of control. Well OOF with no bag check is like a mini all-inclusive hotel in Acapulco only the ‘inclusive’ is your Figi water bottle filled with vodka … wow -might as well indulge in such a place as only a true adult can. With booze. Seriously, what a great way to keep the joy of youth alive in fun natural environment: with chlorinated water thousands of square feet of solid concrete. Glad to hear you got to go out and enjoy OOF!! –and by the way, I have heard of the drinking for hours at belly up bars and no one leaving to use the restroom even after 4 or 10 drinks. This is a commonality with these bars. Surprisingly though, it is super warm and friendly near these bars. I have never figured out why.