10 July 2007

Missouri merely dislikes me

After a long and treacherous process of written examinations, oral debates and body cavity searches, the fine state of Missouri has seen fit to make me a licensed pharmacist. Neat-o. While much of my writing on this site ranges from sarcasm to outright fallacy, I can say with utter sincerity that I feel this is a great accomplishment as well as an important milestone in my life. I've put a lot of work into this, and getting this news makes me both relieved and happy.

Corpopharm, my employer, was elated to hear the good news as well. I informed my higher-ups yesterday that I had passed my boards and was licensed. My boss told me that she would like to have me start Tuesday, and that I could take today (Monday) off. Terrific!

Well, as we all know all play and no work makes Jack a dull boy. The area scheduler for Corpopharm knows this as well and called me at 7 AM today.

Scheduler: Hi Jack! Congratulations on passing your boards and getting licensed!
Jack: (rubbing sleep from eyes, scratching self) Wha? Whoizthis?
Scheduler: Say, we could really use some help today as one of our pharmacists at Store X went into labor today. She's having a baby! Isn't that great? So, could you help us out and pick up her shift at 2 PM at Store X?
Jack: Baby who?
Scheduler: Great! Thanks!

OK, so that's not exactly how the conversation went, but let's just say I felt a little like I was getting ambushed. I'd been licensed for approximately 24 hours and was already being asked to cover for sick shifts. Welcome to the working world.

On the bright side, my first day as a pharmacist went pretty smoothly. I only got insulted once or twice, and nobody told me I looked too young to be in charge. I figure that's a victory.

No comments: