16 September 2007

Quick Weekend Post

This weekend was like all others in that there were a few precious moments with special people. The first special person had a question for me about the combination of alcohol, medication, and coitus. He didn't speak very much English, so he was using body language to get the point across.

Patient (returning to the pharmacy shortly after picking up his Rx): I forget to ask you! Sometimes I got home and drink (mimes cracking a beer and drinking it) and fuck (mimes pumping away on his sex victim). Is it okay to do that with this medicine?
Me: Yes it is. In fact, I think it's recommended.

Imagine this scenario for yourself. This man was a mid fifties, 5'5" and slight, slightly hunched over Spaniard. As he's querying me, he's got a sly little grin on his face, talking about getting drunk and having sex like he's getting away with something. I must be getting numb, because it didn't even make me want to giggle, and I've got a pretty immature sense of humor.

The next special person asked me about her husbands bizarre behavior from the preceding evening.
Wife: So I walk into the kitchen, right? He had taken a Kraft macaroni box and cut holes in it, and then stuck some Pop Tarts in it like it was a toaster. There were pots of water everywhere like he was going to cook something, but the stove wasn't on. Thank god! He also...
Me: Wait, wait. What was he taking?
Wife: Well, the doctor told him to take Benadryl to help him sleep, right? This morning, he said he took 2 Benadryl and 2 Sominex and didn't remember anything else.
Me: Those are both the same thing, diphenhydramine. Does he take anything else?
Wife: Yes! He takes Xanax for anxiety...

The pieces started coming together. When you combine benzodiazepines (Xanax) and sedatives (Benadryl) at high enough doses you get a phenomenon called retrograde amnesia. Normally this occurs when people take their benzo and drink too much. It doesn't usually inspire late night cooking frenzies with imaginary friends, but apparently her husband is the creative type. It at least explained why he didn't remember anything.

Me: Are you sure he didn't take any of his Xanax too?
Wife: Well, he says he doesn't exactly remember...

I had to laugh.

No comments: