04 April 2008

Grandma's Strep Throat Prevention Happy Fun Time

A grandma approached me at work the other day. One of her grandchildren had strep throat. She was 5000 percent sure the other grandchild was going to get it and came to me for a recommendation.

Grandma: Hey! Hey! My gran-baby has strep and I can't have the other gettin' it. I can give 'em some Tylenol and that'll keep 'em from gettin' it, right?
Me: No, ma'am, Tylenol will not stop your grandchild from getting strep throat. Also, just because one of them has it doesn't mean the other will get it. The Tylenol will help for the throat soreness, though.

She said nothing for a few seconds. Her eyes narrowed skeptically.

Grandma: So, Tylenol, right?
Me: No, ma'am. There is nothing made to prevent strep throat. Just make sure the sick child isn't getting in direct contact with the other child, keep them from getting mucus on each other...
Grandma (cutting me off): Well, I got the kids this weekend and if I take 'em back to Mom sick she's goan' be all pissed at me. What am I supposed to do?

It's at this point of the conversation with brick walls like Grandma that you have to make a judgment call. You tell them what they want to hear, or repeat your last statement and walk away. I'm willing to let most people talk themselves into anything. When a minor's health who is under the supervision of a guardian is at risk, I usually try harder.

Me: Listen: if your sick grandchild has strep, she needs antibiotics. Go the the doctor and get an Rx. If your other grandchild is not yet sick, keep them apart as much as possible and you should be fine. Excuse me, I have a call from a doctor I need to take.

Using the old doctor call excuse is a great way to get out of conversations. She wandered away. About 10 minutes later I saw her in the child care section looking at the liquid Tylenol products.

No comments: