31 October 2007

Spiffy Saves Halloween

As Giggles was leaving at her normal time today, she mentioned that she was excited about taking her daughter and other neighborhood kids trick-or-treating tonight. Since I was going to be stuck in the pharmacy all night, I told her to bring them by. Little trick-or-treaters are WAY better than old sick people.

Giggles: Are you sure?
Me: Yeah! I'll hook em up with mad candy.

Nine o'clock rolled around and I was busy trying to catch up from the day. Some woman had left a stack of scripts that she said she'd be back for when the pharmacy opened tomorrow. The doctor's signature was a typically indiscernible scrawl that made it appear he'd had an epileptic fit when autographing the scripts. There was no other identifying information of where the scripts had come from. No phone number, no address, no DEA number. What a dick.

Suddenly, there was a gaggle of costumed pediatrics milling around out front of the pharmacy.

Kids: (yelling in unison) TRICK OR TREAT!!!!!
Me: (shit, I forgot the candy) Wow, you guys look great!

The little bastards got straight to the point. They knew what they were here for.

Kids: Where's the candy?
Me: Uh, well...

Their faces instantly fell. The asshole in the white coat was trying to stiff them. You could say I felt pretty awful. I remembered how much I used to love Halloween, and there was no way I was going to disappoint them.

Me: Go up to the front of the store and get whatever you want, guys. Bring it back here and I'll buy it for you.

I probably should have thought that out a little before I said it. If anyone had been coming back to the pharmacy at that moment, they would have gotten stampeded by 6 to 7 little kids that were running like Phil Simmons was after them.

Luckily, Giggles regulated on them when they brought back a SHITLOAD of candy. She only let them get one of the big bags of assorted candy bars, saying they already had too much. I probably enjoyed it more than they did. Handing our candy is lots more fun than handing out pills.

1 comment:

HeidiO said...

i'm dressing up this year and trick or treating while YOU are working...perhaps i'll steal someones kid on the way in to make myself look more legit...