26 November 2008

Corpopharm Cancer Crisis















These are Christmas lights: pharmacy style!  My pharmacy is so nuts during the day time, I find it hard to believe they had time for such niceties.  See those green things behind them?  Corpopharm does a fund raiser twice a year to make it look like they give a shit about the little man.  This particular one donates funds to cancer research for children.  The registers promt the tech to ask if people would like to donate 1$ USD to the charity.  If they do, the tech gives them one of the green things and asks them to sign it so they can be recognized.

One day, I happened to be ringing up a patient while a Corpopharm manager was in the vicinity of the pharmacy.  He noticed that I wasn't asking people for the donation and prompted me about it.

Spiffy: I don't solicit people.  It's a personal policy.
Manager: You know what it's for, right?  Cancer.  In children.

He really stressed the children part, as if that somehow made it different than cancer in any other age group.

Spiffy: Do you know how much birth control I dispense every day?
Manager: Huh?
Spiffy: Every day I fill at least 10 scripts for birth control.  That means I fill at least 3650 every year.  And that's just my pharmacy.  Across America, pharmacists fill hundreds of thousands birth control scripts every year.  Do you know now much pregnancy that prevents, Manager?
Manager: Umm...
Spiffy:  Of course, no pregnancy, no children.  By dispensing all that birth control, pharmacists prevent thousands and thousands of new babies every year.  Not as many as I would like, but you've got to start somewhere.  That also means that simply by virtue of doing our job, pharmacists prevent hundreds of cancer cases in children every year.  They don't even have a chance of getting it.  Cancer, I mean.
Manager: Uhhhhh.......
Spiffy:  Yeah, I'm doing so much already.

After that, no members of management/corporate asked me why I wasn't hustling their customers.

No comments: