08 November 2008

Frantic Friday Formulary

Last night, the pharmacy administered to me a rather stern rogering that I haven't been exposed to since my career as a day pharmacist.  It's moments like that that make me realize... *gasp*... that I really enjoy and appreciate my new job.

I got work at 9 PM per usual for Friday.  The pharmacist on duty was the PIC, who happens to be a very good one.  She's a great PIC while at the same time is focused on adhereing to Corpopharm's business practices and values.  I can't comprehend it, as I used to try to destroy Corpopharm initiatives with every breath I took.

PIC informed me that the tech scheduled to work late with me was absent because his girlfriend was in labor.  Understandable.  This meant that from 9 PM to 7 AM I would be flying solo.  Most nights this would not be problematic.  Last night, it was.

The following onslaught consisted of ER discharges, regular refills, and insurance problems that compounded into the biggest clusterfuck I've ever experienced in the pharmacy.  Here's a few examples:

1.  9:45 PM.  Lady has an ER script for 20 Darvocet (most useless pain reliever ever, but a huge pink pill, so fun!) and 'Cane'.  That was all the script said, 'cane' as in walking aid.  I had the Darvocet filled in 5 minutes but she took 20 picking out the most appropriate leopard pattern for her walking stick.  Corpopharm has everything from leopard spots to camouflage.  Believe it.

2.  10 PM.  Guy needs refill on his albuterol inhaler, which is out of refills.  He argues with me for 10 minutes about whether or not refills actually exist.  This fact is not debatable, regardless of your oratory skill.  There are three people waiting to drop off new scripts to fill and two waiting to pick up filled scripts behind him.  One lady waits at drive though, alternating between horn honks and pushing the call button.  I eventually tell the guy I'll give him an inhaler if he'll leave peacefully.  Nobody wins.

3.  10:05 PM.  The next guy at drop off has a fake script for oxycodone.  This is a felony. I laugh at him.

4: 10:15 PM.  I start ringing up a person's script only to realize it was done incorrectly about 5 different ways.  I have to spend ten minutes explaining the problems to them that would not have arisen had I been pharmacist to verify the scripts initially.  I make a mental note to murder my new partners.

5.  10:30 PM.  Mom shows up with sick baby and needs scripts NOW@@!!@@#$$  One of them is a drug that has to be compounded, which takes a long time at Corpopharm where we mostly count by 5.  She graciously states she'll give me 15 minutes to get them done.  I inform her that her expectations are both optimistic and groundless.  She is not pleased.  

6.  10:35 PM.  I play 'Optimistic' by Radiohead on my Ipod dock and savor the irony.

7: 10:45 PM.  Dad shows up with a compound for his baby's diaper rash that he also needs NOW.  You can see where this all is going.

Now, all these events by themselves may not seem too fearsome, but picture each one with about 3 other people waiting for me to make them happy instantly and you can see the problem.

I was so shell shocked that I even called Superpharm at midnight because I needed a shoulder to cry on.  Tonight had better go more smoothly or I'm burning that motherfucker down.

No comments: